RSE World

All about RSE and the wonderful world that is technology...

 

How RSE has changed the way I do school work

During my time doing an internship at IBM I was able to learn and work on the Remote System Explorer. Now I can't work without it. Typically I would work on assignments at school during breaks and at home. This would cause me to have to move files back and forth. Then in the end I would have to put all of my files on my account at school and ssh in to submit my assignment. All this moving of files around and switching between tools was such a hassle.

This is where RSE comes in. I now no longer have to switch between tools. Submitting assignments is easy with an SSH Shell or using the Terminal. That removes the need from having putty or SecureCRT open. As you would think with the Remote System Explorer I wouldn't need another tool like CuteFTP to move files around. Why would I move files around though when we have the RSE EFS implementation. All I do is setup my Java Project and link to my files on my account at school. If I made changes at school and am going to start working at home all I have to do is refresh my project and everything will be updated and compiled.

The unfortunate reality is that if it wasn't for my internship at IBM I probably never would have found this amazing tool. I never would have looked in the Device Software Development Platform for a tool like this. My hope is that this blog will help others recognize how useful RSE is and give it a try.

 

for this post

 
Blogger Chris Aniszczyk (zx) Says:

yap, RSE does rock when it comes to work with remote systems. I use it to talk to my linux box at work.

 
 
Blogger nickb Says:

It's true, I hear a lot of questions in #eclipse about ssh and ftp access to remote filesystems, but when you tell people to check out the DSDP/TM project, they get lost. RSE, if you're listening, consider making your website more newb-friendly. How about a screenshot or two? Instead of a mission statement (yawn) show people how cool your project is!

You might want to actually mention the "Remote System Explorer" in the context of a link to your update site, too, to ease installation for people. $0.02

 
 
Blogger Kevin Doyle Says:

Nick, we are listening. =) I agree that the site needs some work to make it easier for new visitor's to download RSE and learn what TM is all about. Thanks for the suggestions. When I get some time I'm going to look at other project websites and see what we can do better.

 
 
Blogger Minus Says:

When I first read about RSE, it was in its 1.0 version. I found the idea of the project awsome, however when I tried the plugin I was a little disappointed. Then, RSE 2.0 came, it was a little better but It wasn't mature enough to be used as production environment (at least it was too complicated for me as I was working with C++ project trying to compile on linux target from a windows desktop). But last week I tried the RSE 3.0 and I am impressed with the work done. Specially, with the tight integration with project creation wizard. I hope I will be able to compile on a remote platform in a seamless way.

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

For me...so close & yet so far...

EVERYTHING I was looking for except rse integration with subclipse.

To be able to use RSE together with subclipse and seemlessly manage 6 SVN branches and develop in Eclipse on standard issue windows boxes would meen I could avoid leaving the Eclipse IDE altogether. Who would have even thunk it!!!

Yes I know about cygwin/X and am using it but then I can't remote display back into windows because of how LAN setup.

I am trying to minimize changes on the server.

Now I am trying Dokan sshfs.

Outstanding job guys!

 
 
Anonymous Anonymous Says:

I'm researching RSE, and am wondering if it has progressed to the point where you can transparently do builds on the remote system, as well as, of course, create/update resources on the remote system.

Is there a good 'state of RSE' available which provides an executive overview of what's implemented today?

 

Leave a Reply

-->
 
 
 
 

Searching